The latest on the effects of the coronavirus outbreak on sports around the world:
- The Premier League’s first wave of mass testing of players and staff found six people infected at three of the 19 teams to conduct the checks. Socially distant practice sessions can now begin, without the involvement of the six people, who have to self-isolate for seven days.
- Russian soccer team Dynamo Moscow said a player and a coach have tested positive, and samples from four others had atypical results.
South Carolina’s highest paid head coaches are taking 10% salary cuts. Football coach Will Muschamp, men’s basketball coach Frank Martin and women’s basketball coach Dawn Staley are taking the cuts. The university also said Tuesday that school president Robert Caslen and Athletics Director Ray Tanner are among the top-level administrators taking the 10% cut.
- Eastern Michigan’s football and basketball coaches are set to take a 7% salary cut as the athletic department tries to deal with the budget impact. Athletics Director Scott Wetherbee announced the salary reductions, which will also apply to him and the school’s president.
- Central Michigan is discontinuing its men’s track and field program, citing university-wide budget cuts. The decision affects both indoor and outdoor track.
- Count the Anaheim Angels among the businesses that have succumbed to the financial stresses. The team will begin furloughing some non-playing employees in June. The affected group includes members of the player development support staff and minor league coaches and coordinators. All will continue to receive health care benefits and have access to a new employee assistance fund, into which the Angels will deposit $1 million for grants.
- The NHL is still more than a week away from determining a return-to-play format. And what that plan resembles could be complicated further should the U.S. and Canada extend border restrictions to non-essential travel into July. Canadian Prime Minister Justin Trudeau has announced that border restrictions will stay in effect through June 21.
- Boston Mayor Marty Walsh said the city is talking with the organizers of the Boston Marathon about what to do if the coronavirus pandemic hasn’t let up by the race’s proposed new date of Sept. 14.
- Major League Soccer’s All-Star Game has been canceled for the first time in its quarter-century history. MLS All-Stars had been scheduled to play counterparts from Mexico’s Liga MX on July 29 at Banc of California Stadium in Los Angeles. MLS said Tuesday that the 2021 game will take place at Banc of California Stadium, most likely against All-Stars from Liga M.
Fans who had been starving for live sporting events had their appetites somewhat sated last weekend. Network executives knew the first weekend with multiple live events would draw good numbers but for the most part they exceeded expectations. The Bundesliga’s return drew record numbers on Fox Sports 1, Saturday night’s UFC card on ESPN was one of the top shows on cable TV and Sunday’s NASCAR race on Fox was the most-viewed non-Daytona race in three years.