A 17-year-old Palestinian repeatedly stabbed an Israeli police officer Saturday before being shot by two officers. It was the latest in a monthlong series of Arab-Jewish attacks.

Israel radio described the incident as a revenge attack for the slayings of 20 Palestinians by police gunfire on Jerusalem's Temple Mount on Oct. 8.In the occupied Gaza Strip, three Arabs suspected of collaborating with Israel died after being attacked by masked activists. A fourth Palestinian was shot and was reported in serious condition Saturday.

Jerusalem police commander Arye Bibi ordered all officers to wear flak jackets after learning the injured officer was not wearing protective equipment.

``Every policeman whose life is in danger, or when a policeman sees that a citizen's life is in danger, the orders are that the policeman can shoot to kill,' Bibi said on Israel television.

The officer, Ofer Hajabi, was in stable but critical condition after surgery at Hadassah Ein Kerem Hospital, said Jerusalem police spokesman Aharon Elhayani.

The Palestinian suspect, shot by two police officers as he tried to flee, was treated for gunshot wounds in his legs and was transferred to a police station, army radio said.

Elhayani said the suspect was from the West Bank town of Nablus but was studying at a college in Abu Dis, an Arab town just outside Jerusalem.

He came to Jerusalem early Saturday and bought a knife with the intention of attacking a policeman, Elhayani alleged.

Hajabi was attacked by the Arab youth near the Damascus Gate leading into Jerusalem's walled Old City.

Israel army radio said the assailant had acted independently and reported that another Arab carrying a knife was later apprehended near Damascus Gate.

In the Gaza town of Raffah, Marwan el Rahawi, 35, was knifed to death by masked men, and Mudalla el Amasi, 55, from the Nusseirat refugee camp, died from injuries sustained in a beating by activists two weeks ago. In Khan Yunis refugee camp, Harbi Jama Shakra, 36, was stabbed to death by masked assailants, Arab reports said.

Aoda el Ayadi, 53, was shot in the head and was in serious condition at Beersheva's Soroka hospital. Arab reporters said Ayadi carried an Egyptian passport and was attacked by supporters of the fundamentalist Islamic Hamas movement.

The army command confirmed the two Raffah deaths and Ayadi's injury, and it was checking the Khan Yunis report.

The tensions in Israel and the occupied areas were further aggravated Monday with the slaying of extremist Rabbi Meir Kahane by an Egyptian-American in New York.

In the week following the Temple Mount killings, three Jews and two Arabs died in revenge attacks and a dozen others were wounded.

At least 773 Arabs have been killed by Israeli troops or civilians in the revolt. Fifty-two Israelis have died.

Get today’s top stories right in your inbox. Sign up for our daily morning newsletter.

Load comments