RALEIGH, N.C. (AP) — A man has been sentenced to eight years in prison for his role in a North Carolina cocaine bust that netted $2 million and 80 kilograms (176 pounds) of the illegal drug.
The Raleigh-based federal prosecutor's office announced that Andrew Richard Rodarte, 73, was sentenced Thursday after previously pleading guilty to possession with intent to distribute cocaine.
A news release from prosecutors said that Rodarte was observed last July during a drug surveillance operation driving a semi-truck to a trailer home in the rural town of Littleton where men were seen unloading duffel bags from the cab.
Officers served a search warrant on the home and found four duffel bags inside a bedroom closet that each held approximately 20 kilograms of cocaine (44 pounds), according to court documents.
Authorities say they then found Rodarte at a truck stop and located $2.2 million in cash in a hidden compartment of his truck.
A criminal complaint filed in federal court said that Rodarte admitted to investigators that he had transported the seized cocaine and had done so on several previous occasions.
Authorities say another man who was found inside the home where the cocaine was unloaded has also pleaded guilty and will be sentenced next month.