GREENSBORO — Band directors from across 14 North Carolina counties have chosen Ragsdale High School's Andrew Oldham as the 2019-20 Band Director of the Year for the Central District Bandmasters Association.
The group's members are band directors from across a region stretching from Guilford to Wake County. The members vote on the award each May.
The group shared the following criteria considered for the award:
- Being an active or recently retired member in good standing with CDBA.
- The successful accomplishments of the band director’s group this year.
- The location and the situation in which the director has worked.
- The service the band director has given to CDBA this year as an officer, board member, chairman of auditions, etc.
- The service the band director has given to other professional music associations.
- Any professional awards presented to the director this year.
"His service to the district, through being a board member and the outstanding performance of his ensembles has been superior throughout this year and his career," wrote Jeremy Ray, the chair-elect of CDBA, in a letter to Ragsdale's principal James Gibson.
The group plans to present him with an engraved plaque at the Central District All-District Clinic in January 2020.
Ragsdale is in Jamestown and is part of Guilford County Schools.