Uncle Cheesecake has opened at 3800 Tinsley Drive in High Point.
The shop is operated by Daniel Gray, also known as Chef MonkonJay.
Gray loves cheesecake. Several years ago, he set out to develop his own recipe because he couldn’t find one that suited him.
Once he got the recipe right, word got around and he started selling cheesecakes to family and friends.
His passion for cheesecake became a business when he started vending at the Piedmont Triad Farmers Market and selling cheesecakes out of Baby Cakes bakery in Archdale.
Last year, Gray decided to take the leap and open his own brick-and-mortar shop.
Gray offers 73 flavors.
Cheesecakes range from 4-inch personal cakes to 10-inch cakes with 12 to 15 slices.
Call 336-804-5638 or visit www.unclecheesecake.com to learn more.
Blaze Pizza coming
California pizza chain Blaze Pizza is debuting in the Triad with an opening at 4562 W. Wendover Ave. at Wendover Commons in Greensboro.
It is the first restaurant for franchisee Om Hot Pizza LLC.
The 2,376-square-foot restaurant is expected to open this summer.
Blaze is a fast-casual restaurant where a made-to-order pizzas is baked in an open-fired oven in about three minutes.
Blaze offers nine signature pizzas or build-your-own from a variety of meats, vegetables, cheese and sauces.
A gluten-free crust is available.
The restaurant also offers salads and dessert items.
Blaze has nine restaurants in North Carolina, with most of them in the Charlotte and Raleigh areas. More are planned.
Blaze joins other eateries at Wendover Commons that include Zoe’s Kitchen, Bad Daddy’s Burger Bar and Outback Steakhouse.
Viva Chicken is opening in the shopping center this spring.
Gourmet Asheboro restaurant closes
Bia’s Gourmet Hardware at 103 Worth St. in Asheboro closed Saturday.
Bia Rich and her husband, Eric, turned a former hardware store in a historic building into a gourmet restaurant and opened it in 2013.
In a Facebook post, Bia Rich did not give any reason for closing the restaurant other than to post “it’s time to move on.”
The restaurant has been vandalized several times over the past two years. The most recent incident was Aug. 1. An arrest was made in connection with that incident.
In an interview with the Courier-Tribune in Asheboro, Rich did not say if the vandalism, which cost her $100,000 in repairs, had anything to do with her decision to close.
Rich said the building had been sold, but offered no other details.
Center Grove Grill and Soda Shop at 998-B N.C. 150 in Greensboro is offering a breakfast buffet 7 to 11 a.m. each Saturday.
The restaurant’s phone is 336-643-8089.
French Toast brunch
The Greensboro Farmers Curb Market will hold a French toast brunch starting at 8 a.m. Saturday at the market at 501 Yanceyville St. in Greensboro.
Staff from Melt Kitchen and Bar will prepare two pieces of French toast with a choice of toppings for $5.
A side of bacon or sausage is available for $2 more.
Proceeds benefit the market.
Elliott Humphries will provide a live music backdrop.
For information, call 336-373-2402 or visit www.gsofarmersmarket.org.
Celebrity Chef Jet Tila will host a middle school cooking competition Feb. 12 at Greensboro Day School at 5401 Lawndale Drive.
Chef Tila is a consultant and has been on television competition cooking shows “Iron Chef America,” “Cutthroat Kitchen” and “Chopped.”
Tila works with FLIK Independent School Dining service, with which Greensboro Day School contracts.
Through his association with FLIK, Chef Tila hosts events at different schools across the country.
The competition will feature middle school teams from Greensboro Day School, Wesleyan Christian Academy, Summit School, Summit School and Forsyth Country Day School.
An opening reception is at 5 p.m. featuring Greensboro Day School musicians followed by the competition at 6 p.m. A reception follows.
Admission is free, but donations will be accepted for area nonprofits and will be matched by FLIK.
For information, call the school at 336-288-8590.
- Krispy Kreme is offering Valentine Conversation Doughnuts. The heart-shaped doughnuts inspired by the conversation candy are filled with one of four signature fillings and are topped with frosting and piped Valentine’s Day messages.
- Olive Garden has added Stuff Ziti Fritta to its all-you-can-eat pasta menu.
- Newk’s Eatery is celebrating 15 years with two entrees from a select menu for $15 Friday through Sunday each weekend through February.
- For a limited time, Denny’s is offering the Super Slampler, featuring two pancakes, a slice of French toast, two eggs and two bacon strips for $5.99. The menu also features four new omelets starting at $6.99 that include Wild West, Greek Garden, Sunny-Topped and The Big Cheese.
- Lobsterfest has returned to Red Lobster with eight dishes, including new dishes Lobster in Paradise, a crispy coconut lobster tail, Creamy Lobster Alfredo, and Ultimate Lobsterfest with grilled lobster tail and grilled Sirloin.
- For a limited time, KFC is offering two Chicken Littles sandwiches for $3.
- Participating Dairy Queen locations are offering a Strawberry Blizzard Treat and heart-shaped Dipped Strawberry Cake for a limited time.